Saturday, October 4, 2014

A Painting is a Problem to Solve


I am fighting with this painting right now. It started out so great--they always do. It is almost a guarantee that when I start a painting, that first time or two I spend working on it, I end on such a high note. I love where it is going and think to myself what a strange and odd thing it is that I have not yet been contacted for a solo show at the MOMA in NYC.
 

 
Then I work on it some more and some of it is okay, but my confidence gets a bit shaken. This stage drags on. I cannot give up, I have already put so much into it...and I have to beat it, I cannot let this canvas win.
 
 My mind looks something like this...
 
...This painting feels disorganized and too busy and I should have taken more reference photos and spent more time drawing...but it snowed last night, so I can't. There are dried fireweed fragments in my studio that I would like to throw out...I need to make it less complicated. I want the foreground to come forward, I need to push the trees back...less information...why do I paint anyway? I have no where to store all of these canvases. I should do some laundry...
 

 
I keep thinking about it, it is always on my mind. I also have photos on my phone of the painting at its most recent stage. I look at them and I start to put a plan together.  This morning I made the trees in the background lighter to push them back. I am not 100% convinced that this is the way to go, but I feel ready to fight. I am planning on a long painting session tonight.
 
Wish me luck!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment